Saturday, March 15, 2014

Little Boxes

Mr. Wright,

I was a History/English student of yours at Morrill in 1993. You also taught me and a handful of others how to develop film in that tiny room behind our class after school. I was a C student on a good day. But you shocked me at our 8th grade commencement with a writing award.

Anyways. I saw in the news that Pete Seeger passed away this morning. I'm not a fan. But his song "Little Boxes" always reminds me of you and your class. You played it several times and let us discuss its meaning. That was a thought-provoking lesson and obviously left a lasting impression.

You were an awesome teacher and I was lucky to have crossed your path. I’m just sorry it took more than 20 years and the death of a folk musician to get around to thanking you.

I hope and trust this message finds you good spirits and fine health.

V/r,

Kevin Powers

-------------------------------

Hi Kevin!

Wow. Those were good days. Thank you reminding me. Good memories like that help balance out the bad memories of a couple of butt-head principals that came later.


I loved developing film and printing photographs and it was wonderful to share that with others.


A C student getting a writing award? Yep, some really good writers were D and F students too.


I'm glad you remembered Little Boxes and I hope nobody has put you into one. 


Thank you for writing. You made my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment